Wednesday 4 March 2015

The Winner's Curse

Title: The Winner's Curse
Author: Marie Rutkoski
Pages: 355
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5

Summary (from Good Reads): 
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 

One thing I loved about this book is how different it was to anything else I'd ever read. Yes, it was all romantic and about love and two people getting together, but the one thing that was different about it, is that it was told from several people's perspectives, but never the couples. For example, a teacher, a barista and a delivery guy as well as the couples friends. We even saw the view points of a bench and a squirrel! It is definitely a unique book in that respect, which is something I definitely enjoyed. I think it was particularly refreshing actually, having a story told but never by the main characters in the story. I thought it was an interesting idea that Sandy Hall did really well. 

Other than the unique aspect of the different view points, the book was fairly good but I think it was very predictable, not that this is a problem - it means you don't have to concentrate on it too much at all, making it light read that you can breeze through! It had an adorable but dorky romance which the book was centred around, which was made good by having the different perspectives of it. It is short, but sweet. I got through it fairly quickly so would definitely say that it is a nice, quick read, if that's something that you're looking for. 

Oh, and can we just talk about the cover? I know I don't usually talk about book covers in reviews, but I just love this one. I think it's so pretty and I just love the colours and how well they go together. I also like how different parts of the book are featured on the cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment