Sunday 8 March 2015

All the Bright Places

Title: All the Bright Places
Author: Jennifer Niven
Pages: 378
Publisher: Penguin
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5
Summary (from Good Reads): 
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.
 
Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.
 
When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

I hadn't really head too much about this book, other than reading the summary so I went into this book with a clear mind. When the book started off, I wasn't too sure about how much I'd like it, it was interesting and I'd read that it was a bit of a cross between Rainbow Rowell and John Green, both being authors that I enjoy, but I didn't know if it'd be my thing due to the topic that the book kind of focuses on. I kept on with it anyway and I am so glad I did. It really picked up and became even more interesting. 

I thought that the story was interesting and dealt with the subject of suicide well, particularly as the topic is quite a sensitive and touchy subject. I felt that after reading this I had actually developed a bit more of a better understanding. 

I found the characters to be interesting and compelling. I enjoyed reading about the characters and getting to know them better. I particularly liked the relationship that formed between Finch and Violet and was so rooting for them pretty much the whole way through the book. It was interesting to see them develop, both in different ways, but together. I thought that this added something else to the book as it was plain to see that both characters were each others coping mechanism. This book doesn't just focus on the characters and their relationship. It also focuses on her things, including bits of adventure along the way.

The ending was a bit of a knock in the face. This is where the book kicks it up a notch, but ultimately, it ties up and makes for a 'good' ending to the book. I really enjoyed this book and was taken by surprise by it. Again, I wasn't really sure about it as I hadn't heard much but I found it interesting and a good read and would definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment