Saturday 31 January 2015

Let's go on a Road Trip

Title: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
Author: Morgan Matson
Pages: 343
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5/5
Summary (from Good Reads): 
Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour is the second book I have read by Morgan Matson, having first experienced her writing with Since You've Been Gone which I loved. Despite this, I let it sit on my shelves a few weeks after buying it, scared that I wouldn't love it as much as Since You've Been Gone. I didn't need to worry much, because I really enjoyed this book! Amy and Roger's Epic Detour was a fun read which I thought was great. I felt it was kind of predictable, but this didn't bother me in the slightest. I thought it was quite interesting and I can already say that the list of stops is already on my list of places to visit!

Matson has a knack for creating realistic characters that you can relate to in some way. Although our main character wasn't necessarily mourning, I thought that it was nice to see the connection that Amy had with her father. I also really enjoyed seeing how Amy dealt with different things throughout the book. The book definitely saw Amy come into her own throughout the duration of the book, and I quite enjoyed having her as a main character.

The one thing that I loved about this book is that it was a bit of a rebellion towards her mother and staying on track, but it also included friendship, which is something I love in books and something that I've noticed Morgan Matson does really well. This book was just a whole load of great and I loved it. For me, it ticked loads of boxes which made it a good read for me.

Oh, and just too add - one thing that I liked about this book was the visuals within it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone as a summer read as it's just perfect for that time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment