Thursday 5 June 2014

Book View: We Were Liars

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary (from Good Reads):
We are the Liars.

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?

You decide.



I am currently ill at the moment, so didn't read this as fast as I wanted too because being ill really knocks the life out of ya! Plus, when I was near the end (like 5 pages away) , I kept getting interrupted by my family!! Anyway..

My Thoughts

Before I read this, there was a lot of hype around this book. I mean, it just came out in May, so what do you expect? But I saw quite a few people saying 'book of the year'. Other than seeing people's reactions, I literally knew nothing when I went into this book, which is a good thing.

I enjoyed the story line that this book had. I did find it a bit confusing, and in one chapter, I found myself a bit disorientated and basically had no clue what was going on until you know, I realised what was happening! Other than that, I did actually quite enjoy this book. I'll say this. It is a mystery, which is why I enjoyed it. I feel like I was constantly trying to piece the story together, and in this book, it really worked well. I particularly liked that twist at the end. That was totally unexpected for me. Maybe others that read it knew it was going to happen, but I definitely did not see that coming.

We Were Liars featured a whole lot of themes in it. I feel like I'm back in high school when I say that, but it was really easy for me to identify themes in this book. The main ones I picked out were family, friendship, love and corruption. I love books that feature families and/or friendships, so this was great for me! I specifically liked how these themes crossed over a bit, like love within family, mixed with corruption. I think Lockhart did a great job of bringing so many different themes together as it worked so well.

Although I did enjoy We Were Liars, I felt that there were parts that weren't great. There is the inclusion of little fairytales, which were a nice added feature, but I did get a bit fed up as I just wanted to read the story! One other thing that brought this book down for me slightly was the fact that at times, I felt kind of confused. Maybe that's just me, but I think it has more to do with the fact that this book went between past and now quite a few times!

I have to say, I was slightly disappointed but I think that's mainly because this book had a lot of hype around it, which I'd seen, so in my head I evaluated it a lot harder than I should've. Thinking about the book without thinking of the hype though, it was a good book, which is why I have given it a 4.5!

Final Thoughts
I did like We Were Liars and I think I would read it again, but I think it also requires a lot of concentration as you are pretty much solving a mystery. Although, personally, I hadn't really worked it out until just before it was said in the book, but that's good. This book keeps you guessing and guessing.


Would you recommend?
I would. Although I'm not head over heels in love with this book, I did enjoy reading it! I'd totally recommend it, particularly to those who enjoy young adult contemporary books that involve a dash of mystery!


Have you read this book? What did you think? If not, do you want to read it? Let me know your thoughts!

Ps. what do you guys think of  my reviews? I feel like mine are so basic and just terrible!

No comments:

Post a Comment